Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Camping Fun-Part 2

When we go camping, we enjoy cooking over the fire.  To me, that's part of the fun in camping.
This time, we tried a new little snack.  
I've been encouraging my kids to eat more fruit (less fruit snacks!) when they're hungry.  
This time, I allowed them to doctor their fruit up.  
 I had hoped these waffle cones would have been bigger and had a larger opening at the top, but they were just about the right size for a little snack or after dinner treat.  We filled them up with a half of a chopped marshmallow, banana and strawberry.  Then we added just a few mini chocolate chips to glaze the top with chocolate. 

We wrapped them up in foil and placed them on our fire grate for just a few minutes. About 5--but I did keep checking them to see that the chocolate was melting, and I did turn them about halfway through. There isn't an after picture because the kids were a delicious mess.  It really wasn't messy, but Connor told me how awesome they were.  Winner winner!

Another favorite recipe of mine for summer (or parties) is Fruit Dip. 
I make this ahead of time when we go camping, and it is always a hit! :)
Above are the ingredients I used this time.
Mix 1 small box of instant pudding mix (I chose cheesecake) with 1 c. milk.
Stir in 1 cup of sour cream.  Fold in one container of cool whip. ENJOY!

I've also made this with almond milk, sugar free pudding mix, no sour cream, and lite cool whip (or fat free).  It tasted awesome that way as well.  I really prefer the french vanilla cool whip in it though! 



And one more yummy treat---
We were camping with friends this week (and there are a few food allergies)--so I was trying to make something that everyone could enjoy.  Snickerdoodles!!  YUM, right?  Well, I got to thinking...what else do I have on hand?

Oh yes---this happened!  Snickerdoodle Smores.  I mean there were leftover cookies--and this was an "off weekend"  (You know, diet on the week--splurge a little on the weekend?)
Soo---




Moving past food--- :)

I've been trying to teach my kids that you can have fun wherever you are at. Sometimes you have to make it---but it doesn't have to cost money.  Money doesn't have to be spent ALL. THE. TIME.  

Here are some ways we enjoy ourselves with no (or low cost).

We LOVE nature walks.  We go to the state parks and enjoy walking the trails.
Sometimes I've made scavenger hunts for them with paper to check off their list.  
Sometimes I've awarded random points for being the first one to find a feather, the first one to find a leaf bigger than their hand, etc. 









 We enjoy state parks, and have noticed that many have their own nature center.  It's fun (and free) to go in and take a peek around.  Sometimes there are park rangers or volunteers in there with activities for you, or there to answer questions or give you more information.




What are some fun (free or almost free) activities you like to do outdoors?

No comments:

Post a Comment